Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Communicating With Employees

Ch. 9, Post #1, pg. #286

According to Eisenberg et. al, leaders who want to be effective communicators must be open, supportive, motivating, and empowering. The first characteristic, open communication, means that the supervisor/employee relationship is characterized by a supervisor's wanting to share information with their employees, are sensitive to others feelings, are empathic listeners, emphasize the importance of communication and also communicate openness through their nonverbal communication.
The second characteristic , supportiveness, means that supervisors emphasize active listening and take a real interest in their employees. The third, motivation, is communicated through employee feedback and through the encouragement, empathy, and concern for employees and finally, empowerment should be used by supervisors to make their employees feel capable of performing their job and possess the authority to decide how to do their job well.

Personally, I think the book did a good job of outlining how effective communication by supervisors really makes or breaks how an employee feels about his or her job. Overall, I think it comes down to supervisors trusting their employees to do their job effectively and efficiently without micro-managing them. What is interesting to me is I was micro-managed the most when I was doing my first, and easiest, job as a bagger at a grocery store. However, the more technically difficult my jobs have gotten, the more autonomy I am given... although it is worth noting that in the jobs where I am given more power to make my own decisions, my supervisors are also a lot more open and supportive than they have been in the past.

2 comments:

  1. Good post! I really liked your last paragraph in this post. Isn't weird that managers feel the need to micro-manage someone when all that is required in something as simple as bagging groceries!? I don't believe I have ever been micro-managed before in my work experience. However, my friend would tell me about her supervisor that would micro-manage her until she almost quit because it was stressing her out so much. My friend would show up to work one or two minutes late (I'm not kidding, only one or two minutes max.) and her supervisor would ask her why she was late and tell her that it would have to be documented for the tardiness. It happend every week! The supervisor would tell her on Friday that she was late by a combined amount (x) of minutes for the week. However, if my friend was early to work, those minutes did not count!
    My thoughts on tardiness are a lot different than this psycho...minute-counting...lady. If your a couple minutes late I'm not even gonna bother with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I agree with you guys because I have a similar experience. When I worked as a new salesperson in a department store, my senior salesperson micro-managed me even though I was really working hard and seriously. I always voluntarily appeared 30 minutes before my working hours to clean the workplace alone and check the "numbers" that we should have achieved. To make it worse, she tried to control my schedule shift, including my private time (I was taking music lessons on Friday, but she intentionally did not give me Fridays off). Even though my sales amount was higher than hers, she did not stop micro-managing on me. Now, I try to be not such a micro-manager toward my clients (students), so I hope they don't feel bad with me. BTW, I read a how-to business book before, and it says we should appear eight minutes early on average when attending a business meeting. Do you believe this?

    p.s., Wilki, thank you for commenting on my blogs!

    ReplyDelete