Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Dialogic Democracy

Web Lecture: Democracy and Dialogue, post #2

First off, I'd like to say that I really appreciate how professor Coopman always presents both sides, good and bad, of a point or concept. Reading through her web lecture and the sub-heading of 'dialogic democracy and organization' I thought to myself, "if all organizations employed this system then everyone would enjoy where they work..." but I soon realized that wasn't really feasible considering how many organizations rely on fast-paced decision making where there isn't time to hear everyone's opinion and examine all perspectives of a problem before deciding on a solution. However, it doesn't mean that open and honest communication has to be outlawed in fast-paced organizations. When I think of an organization that has to make decisions on the go I think of doctors in hospitals. Although their job requires them to make life-or-death decisions very quickly, it is also important for them to be open to the advice of other doctors and work as a team to solve problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment