Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Real vs. Virtual

Web Lecture: Technology and Teams, post #3

In our lecture Technology and Teams, Professor Coopman states, "initial distinctions between real and virtual have subsided as we develop a better understanding of how groups and teams use new media." Professor Coopman also makes a good point that by calling technology assisted communication 'virtual' it suggests that the message and feelings behind it aren't real.

However, these messages are as 'real' as anything said face-to-face. For example, if my manager sends me my schedule over email, I am still clearly expected to work the hours printed in the schedule.

It is my experience that modern communication technology makes group and team communication easier than it's ever been. Although telephones are useful, it still requires two or more people to be available at the same time. Texting and email have been the top two modes of communication I have used in my group work at school because it not only is easy to send my message to multiple people at the same time, but my group members can check my message when they have time.

1 comment:

  1. Anytime i would have to compare the virtual world to real world, i would sume it up as not being accurate.I feel face to face gets the answer more accuratlet rather then an email or a phone call. The most usefull out of all the new technology would be the telephone. You have messages that you can leave and also talk to more than one person at a time. I rather have my boss tell me something in person rather then send me a letter or email.

    ReplyDelete